Our commitment to your privacy, is based on the following principles which we apply to our use of both your personally identifiable data (“Personal Data”) and to certain anonymous information we collect when you visit the Website (“Technical Information”, and together with Personal Data, “Your Data”):
- We will describe Your Data we will collect;
- We will inform you clearly about our collection and use of Your Data;
- We will either seek your express informed consent or rely on other legally permissible bases for the use of Your Data – either way, we will inform you of the basis for our use of Your Data;
- We will give you control over the privacy preferences that apply to Your Data, including the rights to (a) change your mind about our use, (b) have access to change or correct inaccurate aspects of Your Data, and (c) require that we delete all or parts of Your Data;
- We will not sell or rent Your Personal Data to others;
- We endeavor to maximize the protection of Your Data, and provide you with prompt notice in the unlikely event that a data loss incident or breach occurs; and
- We will endeavor to be completely transparent and open about our data privacy policies and practices.
- How Do We Collect Information?
- What Information Do We Collect?
- How Do We Use Your Data Collected at the Website?
- Can I Choose Not to Receive Commercial Email Communications?
- Other Legal Bases for Using Your Data
- Data Security
- Cross Border Transfers
- Accessing and Updating Personal Data
- Data Retention
- Your California Privacy Rights
- California Web Site Data Collection
- Contact Us
- Member Personal Data, Communication & Database
- Changes to this Privacy Statement
- GDPR Requests
We collect Your Data in the following basic ways:
- You give it to us when you register as a Member or if a Member or a Visitor registers for an event including but not limited to webinars, or signing up for a newsletter;
- You give it to us in email inquiries or in your public comments; and
- We automatically collect Technical Information when you visit the Website.
- On the Website, we request certain Personal Data, for purposes such as registering to become a Member, renewing your membership, submitting inquiries and comments, or registering for a webinar or our conferences or events. This may include name, title, company/organization name, postal address, email address, work, home and mobile phone numbers.
- We or our authorized vendors may collect Technical Information that we do not associate with any individual site user. This information includes –
- how many visits we have to the Website,
- when the Website are visited,
- browser types used for the Website visits,
- name of the Internet service providers, and
- pages that you access while at the Website.
- We do not sell or rent any Personal Data supplied by you. We occasionally work with other companies, consultants, and contractors to provide limited services on our behalf, such as website hosting, public relations, mailing, answering customer questions about products and services, and sending information including but not limited to our research, white papers, policy positions and events. We will only provide those companies the Personal Data they need to perform the service for which they are retained and they agree to treat information confidentially and to only use it for the purposes of providing services under our agreement with them.
- We may use Your Data to provide you with more effective customer service and to improve the Website and any related products or services we may provide or make available.
- We may use your Personal Data to provide you with important information about your membership.
- We may use Technical Information to periodically analyze Website logs to assess aggregate usage trends in order to better serve the needs of Visitors and Members and maximize the user viewing experience. Under some circumstances this information may be used for purposes of systems administration, fraud prevention or server troubleshooting and security. This information may also be used to help improve the Website, analyze trends, and administer the Website.
- We may disclose Your Data if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to (a) conform to the requirements of the law or comply with legal process served on us or the Website; (b) protect and defend our rights or property, (c) act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of our employees and staff, agents, users of our products or services, or members of the public, or (d) effect any merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of our assets, in which case you will be provided notice of the following via email and/or a prominent notice on the Website, (i) the change in ownership, (ii) the uses of Your Data in the transaction, and (iii) choices you may have regarding Your Data. To the extent we are legally permitted to do so, we will take reasonable steps to notify you in the event that we are required to provide Your Data to third parties as part of legal process.
In addition, we will use Your Data to:
- Provide information or a service requested or consented to by you.
- Assist in the performance of our activities and public interest functions.
- Comply with relevant contractual obligations with you and other third parties.
- Improve site performance and content, including trouble shooting and diagnostics.
- Improve our engagement and interaction with you.
- Facilitate your attendance at and participation in our events, communities or blogs.
- Confirm your identity.
- Process a request or payment / donation submitted to us.
- Comply with legal requests.
We realize that unwanted and non-relevant email notices and communications can be unwelcome. Every promotional, event or related communication we send to you via email contains instructions and an easily discoverable link that will allow you to unsubscribe and stop all subsequent commercial or marketing messages and/or direct you to a preference center to select topics of interest to you. Unless you consent (opt in) to the receipt of commercial or marketing emails, we will not use your email address for such purposes.
By joining the Foundation, Members may opt-in to the inclusion of their email contact information in our Member email communication and Member newsletter lists. Members may receive periodic email or postal mailings from us with information about us, upcoming events, or issues. We offer you the opportunity to select which, if any, of these communications you would like to receive.
All of our practices are designed and intended at a minimum to satisfy state, national, provincial and federal legal requirements limiting email communications. In addition to these laws and regulations governing email marketing there are other laws and regulations governing telemarketing and direct mail. As a general rule, we do not engage in those types of targeted marketing activities including but not limited to device finger printing, profiling and or cross device tracking.
Credit card information is not collected or stored on our servers. When you conduct transactions through the Website, payment and payment card information for transactions with us is entered directly into a third-party processor’s systems and is not transmitted through or stored by us. The card processor provides us with an authorization code which is securely stored with the payment record on our servers.
The Website uses third parties for web analytics services, including Google Analytics, to collect Technical Information. These third parties do or may use “cookies” or similar technologies, which are text files placed on your computer, to help analyze how you use the Website.
The cookies collect visitor data, including the date and time of your visit, where you are based, the number of times you visited the Website, and your IP address, transferring the information to Google in the United States. However, the Website uses Google Analytics with visitor IP address anonymization in compliance with EU regulations. This means that IP addresses located in all member states of the EU will be truncated and, thus, anonymized before being transferred to Google. Google will use this information for the purpose of evaluating your use of the Website, compiling reports on website activity for website operators and providing other services relating to website activity and Internet usage. Google does not pass on this information to any third party unless required by law, or for data to be processed by parties contracted by Google. Also, Google stresses that, as a rule, IP addresses will not be correlated in any way to any other data that may be collected by Google.
You may refuse and block the use of all of our (and third party) cookies by selecting the appropriate settings in your browser. However, please note that if you do this, you may not be able to use the full functionality of the Website and it might impact your overall experience.
While no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100 percent secure, we take reasonable and appropriate measures designed to protect the security of data transmitted to us upon receipt. By default, the Website encrypts connections between client devices and our servers to minimize the ability of any third party to “eavesdrop” on Your Data. In addition, where feasible, data is stored encrypted.
Our databases and system administration logs, are restricted to access by authorized and authenticated users. We use reasonable industry security standard safeguards (which may include physical, procedural and technical measures) to protect against the unauthorized disclosure of Personal Data. We take reasonable steps to ensure that Your Data is complete and relevant to its intended use. We will take reasonable and appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction of Your Data.
If you visit the Website from a country other than the United States, your communications will likely result in the transfer of Your Data across national borders. Our servers or offices may be located in countries other than the country from which you access the Website, also resulting in the transfer of Your Data across international borders. If you provide Your Data when visiting the Website from outside of the United States, you acknowledge and agree that this data may be transferred from your then current location to our offices and servers and to those of our affiliates, agents, and service providers located in the United States and in other countries. The United States and such other countries may not have the same level of data protection as those that apply in the jurisdiction where you live.
For site visitors who reside in the European Economic Area, Switzerland or the United Kingdom, we will only transfer Your Data (a) to jurisdictions with “adequate protection” as used in the General Data Protection Regulation governing transfer of personal data outside of the European Union (the “GDPR”), or (b) to recipients with appropriate safeguards in place, including where contractual arrangements exist which include Standard Contractual Clauses (as defined in the GDPR) without any additions, modifications, or omissions
Users may request access to their Personal Data collected and stored by us (if any) to verify if it is complete and accurate or to request that it be deleted. At a minimum, we will respond to your request within any applicable timeframe required by law and will otherwise take reasonable steps to respond to legitimate requests to access, correct, delete or update any such information retained by us. Requests may be sent by email to [email protected].
We will only retain Your Data stored on our servers in accordance with the legitimate needs of our business and as required or permitted by applicable law. We will not retain any unused Personal Data on our systems longer than necessary for legitimate business purposes.
The Website is not targeted at, directed to or intended for the use of children under the age of thirteen. No person under the age of thirteen should use the Website or under any circumstances provide any Personal Data or other information on the Website. If you become aware that any individual under the age of thirteen has used the Website, please contact us immediately to [email protected]. By using the Website you represent and warrant that you are over the age of thirteen.
We do not knowingly allow other parties to collect personally identifiable information about your online activities over time and across third-party web sites when you use the Website. We provide information about the opt-out or opt-in choices available to users.
Any user, including California residents, who wish to request further information about our compliance with these requirements, or have questions or concerns about our privacy practices and policies, may contact us at [email protected].
As a Member, you may review or update your Personal Data by logging into the membership portal(s) and reviewing or changing your Personal Data directly.
Members may also adjust these settings or change or correct their Personal Data by email to [email protected].